Monday, May 25, 2009

Clayton Willoughby for President


Who: Clayton Willoughby

http://www.myspace.com/claytonwilloughby
http://www.myspace.com/nicksworcester


Where:
Nick's
124 Millbury St
Worcester, MA

Worcester is a northeast industrial town in the heart of Massachusetts that is currently undergoing revitalization amidst an economic recession and Mother Nature's fury. There are entire neighborhoods without trees due to the December ice storm and asian longhorned beetle plague.
Nick's is a rare gem in the rough diamond that is Worcester.

While sipping Absinthe amongst lacquered woods, stained glass windows, and fine art reproductions, one almost forgets the urban decay outside. I tried St. George's from California - a 120 proof concoction.

After the liquor was cut with sugar and water,all I tasted was licorice.

A welcome shtick to Nick's calendar of diverse acts is Clayton Willougby.
Clayton said the first time he played at Nick's, he was a little nervous. "I wasn't sure how well I would be received" he said. "I walked through the door in my bow tie, white gloves, and walking stick , and the bartender bowed and said, 'Good Evening, Mr. Willougby, you're looking very dapper this evening' and I knew I was home."
Clayton is hardly seen without his walking stick, and has the lyrics to prove it. "Without my walking stick-I'd go insane; I may look my best, but I feel undressed, without my cane." Additionally autobiographical is the "Aint Misbehavin' title track of his CD; the accompanient heralds words to live by, and he does: "I don't stay out late; I don't get a cold; on Friday it's just me and the radio."
Both of his parents were in show business;he was genetically born to perfect pitch and vaudeville; he doesn't expect a captive audience-he DEMANDS it.

"Woody's kid stole this song from me~I won't mention his name....I usually perform this song around Thanksgiving." he explained. It goes like this...You can get anything you want, at Nick's Bar and Restaurant....I just wanted to set the record straight". He explained. "Don't accept any cheap substitutes."
With an onstage setup that resembled a historic living room, including a tabletop tiffany lamp, 'on air' and 'applause' signs,and a Bates Motel hand towel, Clayton is a travelling salesman of history that adores historic props. Two vintage suitcases advertised 'Capitol Records' and proclaimed 'I like Ike'. If Dwight Eisenhower were running for president, Clayton Willougby would be his campaign manager.
We conversed about political history,victrolas, antique restoration,and his 1956 Pontiac Catalina. He is the real deal, 'Daddy-O'

Clayton dedicated his song 'Prairie Lullaby' to his two favorite cowboys, Gene Autry and Roy Rogers; moved onto something completely different with a gypsy tango. "Much to my father's dismay, a band of gypsies campled out on our backyard for an entire summer." He said. "They taught me this song~and many others. I also learned to pickpocket; watch your wallets." All humor aside, the gypsy tango is a romantic staccato number.
There is an evident appreciation for language,and the venue, during 'Mack the Knife' which Mr. Willoughby conjugated into perfect German.
Clayton entertained the crowd with a quiz and trivia radio show~who was the actress in 1933 King Kong? The answer was Fay Wray; he presented the winner with tickets to the 1939 World's Fair printed on color cardstock. "Provide your own tim machine, my dear." The next contestant won two tickets to Buffalo Bill's Wild West show, and was told to provide their own transportation. "Now a word from our sponsor" said Clayton as he recited a Proctor and Gamble commercial.
Between sets of vintage trivia, blues from the 20s and Love songs from 1911, I realized he brought something completely different
to the indie music scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment